Thomson's Ultra Yield® System
The Ultra Yield® System consists of four components
Ultra Yield® Flasks
Ultra Yield® Flasks are designed to be either single-use or autoclaved up to 3x and feature a unique geometry that enhances gas exchange.
Ultra Yield® BiDirectional Transfer Cap
In addition, when it comes time to harvest flask contents or transfer to larger fermenters Thomson manufactures a single-use Ultra Yield® Bidirectional Transfer Cap for the 1.5L and 2.5L Ultra Yield® Flasks. This aseptic transfer system keeps your process sterile and GMP-compliant.
Ultra Yield® Flasks
10x increased aeration over standard shake flasks
Increased DNA & protein production
Fully scalable results
Replacement for glass flasks
Fits all standard flask clamps
Easily adaptable into microbial growth protocols
Sterile, autoclavable flasks from 125mL – 2.5L
Use with AirOtop™ Enhanced Seals or Vented Screw Caps and Plasmid+® media
Thomson is not affiliated with Kuhner or their products
Data from Pfizer: 610% Yield Increase
Economical parallel protein expression screening and scale-up in Escherichia coli. Journal of Structural and Functional Genomics2006 Jun;7(2):101-8. Epub 2006 Dec 23.
Effect of flask design on E.coli culture growth and production of recombinant protein. (A) The effect of flask type and growth medium on the observed optical densities of the cultures at A600 following overnight protein expression. Cultures carried out in Fernbach flasks using either LB medium or TB medium are shown, respectively at the front (green) and in the center (orange). Cultures grown in Ultra Yield® flasks in TB medium are shown at the back (blue). (B) The yields of expressed soluble protein (determined by protein assay and recorded as mg protein per liter of expression culture) from the IMAC columns following purification of the twelve polyHis-tagged recombinant proteins, each expressed under the three conditions described in Panel A. Clone locations in Panel B are the same as those in Panel A.
Data from GSK
E. coli when cultured in Thomson Ultra Yield® Flasks show cells going from Log Phase to Transition Phase (as opposed to Stationary Phase) resulting in an increase in microbial OD, overall a more stable pH and a lower acetate level compared to glass flasks.
Recommended Shake Speeds
Recommended culture volumes and orbital shaker speeds (a throw of 1″ (2.54cm) is generally used for orbital shaking).
|Part #||Description||Use AirOtop™ Seal / Vented Screw Cap||Media (mL)/Flask||Shaker Speed|
|931147||125mL Ultra Yield® Flasks 50/case -- Sterile||899421 / 899109||40-50mL/flask||300-350 RPM|
|931144||250mL Ultra Yield® Flasks 50/case -- Sterile||899423 / 899110||75-110mL/flask||300-350 RPM|
|931141||500mL Ultra Yield® Flasks 25/case -- Sterile||899424 / 899111||125-200mL/flask||300-350 RPM|
|931138||1.5L Ultra Yield® Flasks 12/case -- Sterile||899425/899566||250-350mL/flask||300-350 RPM|
|931136-B||2.5L Ultra Yield® Flask 6/case -- Sterile||899425 / 899566||500mL (optimal)||300-400 RPM|
Flask Clamp Compatibility
Refer to the chart below to find the appropriate flask clamp compatible with your shaker.
|Flask Size||Eppendorf®||INFORS HT®||Kuhner®||Fisher Scientific®||VWR®|
|125mL||M1190-9001||12202 ATK 100||SM310100||11-676-013||57019-676|
|250mL||M1190-9002||12203 ATK 250||SM310250||11-676-014||57019-678|
|500mL||M1190-9003||12204 ATK 500||SM310500||11-676-015||57019-682|
|1.5L||ACE1000S||12205 ATK 1000||SM311000||11-676-016||57019-684|
|2.5L||M1190-9005||12206 ATK 2000||SM312500U||11-676-017||57019-686|
Ultra Yield® Flask Part Numbers
- Ultra Yield® 125mL Flasksterile40-50mL Working Volume | SterileUse AirOtop™ Enhanced Seal or PTFE 0.2µm Vent Cappn931147|50/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 250mL Flasksterile75-110mL Working Volume | SterileUse AirOtop™ Enhanced Seal or PTFE 0.2µm Vent Cappn931144|50/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 500mL Flasksterile125-200mL Working Volume | SterileUse AirOtop™ Enhanced Seal or PTFE 0.2µm Vent Cappn931141|25/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 1.5L Flasksterile250-350mL Working Volume | SterileUse AirOtop™ Enhanced Seal or PTFE 0.2µm Vent Cappn931138|12/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 2.5L Flasksterile500mL-1L Working Volume | SterileUse AirOtop™ Enhanced Seal or PTFE 0.2µm Vent Cappn931136-B|6/caseclick for more details
Ultra Yield® Vent Cap Part Numbers
- Ultra Yield® 125mL Vent CapsterilePTFE 0.2µm for Increased Aeration | SterileFor Ultra Yield® 125mL Flaskspn899109|50/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 250mL Vent CapsterilePTFE 0.2µm for Increased Aeration | SterileFor Ultra Yield® 250mL Flaskspn899110|50/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 500mL Vent CapsterilePTFE 0.2µm for Increased Aeration | SterileFor Ultra Yield® 500mL Flaskspn899111|25/caseclick for more details
- Ultra Yield® 1.5 & 2.5L Vent CapsterilePTFE 0.2µm for Increased Aeration | SterileFor Ultra Yield® 1.5 & 2.5L Flaskspn899566|24/caseclick for more details